How to create a gnome box
- You need to install gnome_boxes.
- You need the iso for the OS you are going to install. Download the iso and save it.
- Do you have enough disk space for the new gnome-box?
MS Windows 10 URL
3. Bring up gnome boxes. Click on “new”.
4. It will ask for the URL or path. Give it the path and continue.
5. Follow instructions. Just like any other install.
How to resize a gnome box
list the directory where gnome images are kept and find the path and name of the image. Make sure gnome-boxes is stopped and closed.
Lets say you want to add 20 gigabytes to a box whose image name is crashy-5. Now issue the following command in a terminal window:
qemu-img resize ~/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images/crashy-5 +20G
How to clone a gnome box
To clone my box called crashy,I bring up gnome-boxes, Then I right click on the box name, left click on clone. It takes a few minutes, but that is all. The new box will be named crashy-2.
How to rename a gnome box
This is done in two parts.
1. Rename the box i n gnome-boxes so that the name displayed to you is the one you want. Lets rename crashy-2 to mswindow10.
right click on crashy-2
scroll to properties
enter name mswindow10 in the box and press enter.
2. To change the name of the image, you must do the following (with gnome-boxes stopped and closed.)
mv crashy-2 mswindow10
mv crashy-2.xml mswindow10.xml
edit mswindow10 and change two locations where crashy-2 exists to mswindow10.
virsh create ~/.config/libvirt/qemu/mswindow10
At the end of the above command, your gnome-box will be up and running under the new name, (but in background mode.)
How to backup a gnome box
create a file in your bin directory named backup-boxes.sh
add the following lines:
# backup a gnome boxes machine (aka domain)
echo “Backing up $nnn”
if [ -f $nnn ]; then
virsh dumpxml $1 >$1.xml
tar cvzf $HOME/Boxes/$1-$2.tgz $1.xml .local/share/gnome-boxes/images/$1 .config/libvirt/* .config/gnome-boxes/*
echo “err— no such box. Must specify the box name.”
chmod +x bin/backup-boxes.sh
Add a line to your normal nightly backup script for each box. /home/wlperry/bin/backup-boxes.sh crashy.williamperry.com $NOW
Make sure that all gnome-boxes are stopped and gnome-boxes is closed.
This will create a backup of crashy in the dir /home/wlperry/Boxes/